EATING BETTER - 3 common mistakes
- Not cooking food in bulk and storing in order to have some food on hand and avoid eating junk food
- Eating too much sugar, too many Carbs, and too many empty calories. Insulin resistance is the biggest health problem facing America, and it's getting worse. It may take you years to reset your hormonal balance issues if you've become insulin resistant. Don't give up.
- Not occasionally fasting or skipping meals. We kind of went overboard with the "eat every 3 hours" concept. Weight loss is not complicated. Caloric restriction causes weight loss- end of story. Try using a smartphone app to track calories.
GETTING IN BETTER SHAPE - 3 common mistakes
- Not doing circuit or interval training. Mix it up and try new things, use a heart rate monitor or some other device if you need to. Getting on a bike or treadmill definitely would work too but try to push it harder and do intervals.
- Not doing weight-bearing exercise. Use bodyweight strength exercises and activities like walking, running or martial arts to get in better overall shape. Exercises done standing up (versus lying down or seated) build more bone density and train you for the real world.
- Not stretching and working through pain and discomfort. Most people give up too easily and opt for surgery. Stretch and exercise every day and you will feel better.
MANAGING STRESS - 3 common mistakes
- Not simplifying your life. Get out of debt. Downsize. Say no. Eliminate.
- Allowing your emotions to control you. Channel anger. Think things through. If you really want to do it, don't procrastinate or make excuses. Identify an emotion and then decide how to respond rationally.
- Not making time every day to do something fun. Go for a walk. Play with your dog. Listen to music. Dance. Put the top down. Dress up. Go somewhere new. Call an old friend.
- One more stress management mistake for good measure: Trying to manage stress with a bad habit: Emotional outbursts, food, alcohol, drugs, smoking, or any other addiction.
Good luck with your goals this year and stay on track!