Click on the side bar for more information and to read the previous essays.
Most great teams have “go-to” plays. Most great fighters have a “go-to” move that wins a fight. Actors have signature lines like “Hasta la vista, baby”, or “Frankly my dear I don’t give a damn.” This is what these professionals are known for. I want you to be like them and become a pro. I want you to be someone who eats excellent- tasty and healthy. Be known for eating well.
Pick a few “go-to” meals that are:
It’s better to eat a varietyof foods for the vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, but on the other hand it’s easier to maintain weight and eat well over the long haul if you eat predictably. This means eating a lot of the same things repeatedly.
Here are some examples of my “go-to” meals:
- An apple with a handful of nuts, for an afternoon snack.
- A turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread, with lettuce, pickles, mustard and tomatoes, and a banana for lunch.
- Oatmeal with an egg or two for breakfast, followed by a small cup of blueberries.
- Al dente (hard-cooked) pasta with olive oil and canned tuna and some olives for dinner.
- Grilled chicken breast, sauerkraut, and steamed carrots for dinner.
- Brown rice with lemon juice, baked salmon, spinach salad.
- A protein smoothie with whey protein, blueberries, cocoa, and almond butter.
- Sardines with pickles, a sliced tomato, and peaches for desert.
- Greek Yogurt with sliced almonds and a couple of raisins or strawberries.
These are a few of the quick, healthy, and easy meals I have repeatedly. There are a few more, but you get the drift. I suggest you get about 10 of these in your arsenal and just get in the habit of eating a lot of the same things every week. It’s so much easier to eat healthy that way.
You’ve heard of “to-go” meals, but switch to “go-to” meals…..they make a huge difference!
Like the blog? Pass it on!
By the way, I created a new infographic model of the mental health benefits of exercise, www.scottgodwin.net/models.htmlThe Movement & Meaning Model. I really like the way it turned out. It's on the site, but I've included it here. Please share with anyone you're trying to inspire!