What exactly is testosterone?
- A steroid hormone of the androgen group which is produced by the testicles of males and ovaries of females and also in small amounts by the adrenal glands. It is the principle male sex hormone.
What does testosterone do?
- It's responsible for development of male reproductive tissues and secondary sexual characteristics such as increased muscle, bone mass, and the growth of body hair and is essential for health and well-being as well as the prevention of osteoporosis.
How much testosterone does the average man have?
- On average 7–8 times as great as in women but, as the metabolic consumption of testosterone in men is greater, the production is 20 times higher.
What happens with testosterone as a man ages?
- On average it declines with age, beginning in the 40s. If a man marries, testosterone declines more, which has been associated with a biological nesting effect. This can be counteracted through diet and exercise.
What are some interesting facts about testosterone?
- It does not cause cancer or cardiovascular disease and may be helpful in preventing them.
- Women have testosterone, some more than others.
- Testosterone is associated with sex, love, bonding, and arousal.
- High testosterone is associated with feelings of energy, drive, and motivation.
- Testosterone peaks in the morning.
- Testosterone rises when a man is in the presence of an ovulating woman.
- A form of testosterone is present in fish.
How is testosterone used for medical purposes?
- To treat hypogonadism- males with little or no testosterone production.
- To treat infertility, erectile dysfunction, low libido, osteoporosis, or low energy.
- To encourage height growth, organ growth, bone marrow stimulation, and / or reverse the effects of anemia.
- To stimulate appetite.
Up Next..............How To Boost Your Testosterone Naturally.
You might also like:
The Best Exercise For Men