* This is part of a year-long weekly series called “52 Weeks to Eating better than Ever”.
Click on the side bar for more information and to read the previous essays.
As an old Marine friend of mine says…
The “7 Ps of Preparation” are
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
It’s a little crude, but it’s true and it applies to eating well. Think and plan ahead like a Marine. Prepare to eat well. Be systematic. Otherwise, you’re likely to eat junk food and to eat too much, because it’s so convenient to do so.
We are all busy, more than we should be. It’s hard to have time to eat healthy, particularly when families are involved. I recommend taking one day to plan the meals for the week ahead. Maybe it is Friday evening, for example, or maybe Monday. You pick out a few proteins- grilled chicken, some shrimp, and black beans. Cook some of those and put them in the refrigerator for the week ahead. Most pre-cooked foods will last 2-3 days, some longer in the case of fruits and veggies, rice, pastas and grains. What you don’t use that you think will spoil you can freeze temporarily. Have plenty of fresh vegetables chopped up all the time and ready to snack on. This will make a big difference when it comes to eating healthy. You’ll be much less likely to overeat.
- Pick 3 proteins.
- Pick 6 vegetables.
- Pick 3 fruits.
- Set aside 1 hour to cook and prepare these foods and pack in individual containers (preferably glass containers because of contaminants in plastic.
- Put it on your schedule so you do it every week at the same time.
- Freeze what you aren’t going to consume within 3 days.
- Have plenty of nuts and olive oil on hand for snacks and salads and healthy dips.
Like the blog? Pass it on.
Read Next: My Super Simple Philosophy