Basic Components- For any sport or training goal, you will need these components. Give priority to what your goals are, as well as what you need to improve on.
- Aerobic conditioning – No matter the goal, your heart and lungs need to have a basic amount of conditioning.
- Anaerobic conditioning - This is glycolytic interval training, your ability to maximally produce energy for 30 seconds up to 3 minutes, it combines aerobic conditioning and strength along with your body’s ability to rid itself of lactic acid (the byproduct of muscular exertion).
- Stability/ Agility- Balance and your ability to move in an agile way.
- Flexibility- Your range of motion and your ability to move dynamically.
- Strength- Your ability to exert force.
- Power- Your ability to apply force with velocity (speed).
- Your sport or goal- What exactly is your primary goal? This will determine how you train.
- Practice the skills for your sport or goal- If you have a specific goal, let’s say golf for example, you will have to train specifically for that. I don’t care how fit you are, you need to be specific. If you want to hike the Appalachian trail, you better get out and hike!
- Health care, performance and fitness testing and retesting- Get your routine physicals, and also use OBJECTIVE performance and fitness testing to determine what you need to work on.
Sample Schedule for Everyone
*If you have a sport, or hobby you’re training for, add in 30-120 minutes of practice, 5 days per week. Play Saturday and Rest on Sunday.
Day 1- Stability (5 minutes), Flexibility (5 minutes), Strength and Power Training (30+ minutes)
Day 2- Flexibility (10 minutes) Aerobic Conditioning Intervals (24 Minutes) 1 minute Intense, 1 Minute Moderate
Day 3- Stability, Flexibility, and Strength on the Floor (30+ minutes), Optional 20 Minutes Strength Training with Weights
Day 4- Flexibility (5 minutes) Aerobic Conditioning (30 Minutes)
Day 5- Stability (5 minutes), Flexibility (5 minutes), Strength and Power Training (30 minutes) + Specific Training.
Day 6- Aerobic Conditioning Moderate Intensity (30-45 minutes)
Day 7- REST!
And remember...there's never been a better day than TODAY to make it happen!
Read Next: History as the Decline of Community
Want to sign up for email newsletter? Sign up on my home page:
If you like the blog, please share it with friends or on social media.