- Protect your brain from injury.
- Keep your brain healthy by staying intellectually and physically active.
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep.
- Keep your blood sugar adequate by having healthy snacks available (nuts are ideal).
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables so you feel full.
- Don’t have more than 1-2 servings of alcohol per day, and take periods of abstinence.
- Write down your goals, and keep them simple.
- Use a journal, especially to deal with anxiety.
- Meditate, do deep breathing exercises, and pray.
- Shut off automatic thoughts when they first begin.
- Practice saying 5 things you’re grateful for every day.
- Reward yourself, but not too much.
- Limit technology.
- Find natural and simple sources of pleasure.
- Engage in positive and meaningful experiences.
- Maintain a strong social group.
- Get treatment for any biological brain or mental problems.
- Boost endorphins through exercise, they’ll give you energy and make you a more positive person.
- Boost GABA, a calming hormone, through stretching and deep breathing.
And lastly, and most importantly……..
- Train yourself to love the right things, so you replace your tendency to love the unhealthy ones.
Like the blog? Sign up and pass it on.
Read Next: How to Live Longer